The event will be held in Berlin, Germany from 8 March (arrivals/opening ceremony) to 29 March 2018 (departures) and the qualifiers are:
1. Sergey Karjakin (RUS, world championship 2016 finalist)
2. Levon Aronian (ARM, world cup 2017 winner)
3. Ding Liren (CHN, world cup 2017 finalist)
4. Shakhriyar Mamedyarov (AZE, grand-prix 2017 winner)
5. Alexander Grischuk (RUS, grand-prix 2017 runner-up)
6. Fabiano Caruana (USA, rating lists 2017)
7. Wesley So (USA, rating lists 2017)
8. Vladimir Kramnik (RUS, organiser’s nominee)
First reserve from the FIDE Grand-Prix standings is Teimour Radjabov (AZE).
The winner of the Candidates Tournament will challenge Magnus Carlsen for the FIDE World Championship title in the last quarter of 2018.